AUSTIN, Texas--For the fifth straight year, Texas.gov, the State’s official website, was recognized for digital government excellence by multiple industry award programs. Recognition spanned several areas of the Texas.gov program, including website innovation and excellence, cost-effective solutions for the operation of state government, and well-crafted, effective campaigns to market online services to citizens. The nineteen awards in 2015 represent the most accolades the program has ever received, surpassing last year’s record of eighteen.
“Texas citizens have grown to expect online access to all Texas government services and information. Our teams at DIR and Texas NICUSA always strive to meet and exceed expectations. The awards received by the program are a testament that we continue to be on the right track,” said Janet Gilmore, Director of Digital Government for the Texas Dept. of Information Resources (DIR).
Highlights of this year’s awards include:
- The Texas.gov program was a finalist for the prestigious Excellence.gov Awards administered by the American Council for Technology (ACT) and Industry Advisory Council (IAC).
- The Texas Open Data Portal, sponsored by Texas.gov, received the Texas Association of State Systems for Computing and Communications (TASSCC) Excellence Award for Innovation or Inventive Projects.
- For the second year, the Texas.gov website ranked as one of the top five government websites in the nation receiving a Best of Web Award from the Center for Digital Government. The website was also recognized with a Communicator Gold Award of Excellence, a MarCom Gold Award, a Gold AVA Digital Award, an Interactive Media Best in Class Award, and Web Marketing Association Outstanding Web Award.
- The Texas.gov program’s multi-channel customer support team was honored for the second time with a Bronze Stevie Award for Outstanding Customer Service in an international competition sponsored by the American Business Awards.
- The 2014 digital marketing campaign received multiple accolades, including Internet Advertising Competition Best in Industry, Gold AVA Digital Award, Gold MarCom Award, and the campaign’s television commercials received a Communicator Silver Award of Distinction.
Consumer Alert: In order to safely take care of your government business online, beware of unofficial, look-alike websites operated by private organizations that may charge unnecessary fees for services or information. Instead, make sure you are using the State’s official website, www.texas.gov, or an official state agency website to complete your online transaction. To access an official website, enter the URL in the address bar at the top of your Internet browser (e.g. Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, etc.) instead of entering the address in a search engine bar (e.g. Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc.). Also look for the .gov or state.tx.us extension which will be present in the URLs of all official Texas state government websites.
Texas.gov is the official website of the State of Texas (www.texas.gov) and is a collaborative public/private partnership managed by the Department of Information Resources (DIR). Texas.gov helps state and local government entities web-enable their services and operates without tax funds through a partnership between the State and Texas NICUSA, LLC. Texas NICUSA builds, operates, maintains, and markets Texas.gov and is part of eGovernment firm NIC’s (NASDAQ: EGOV) family of companies. Since its launch in 2000, Texas.gov has securely processed more than 254 million financial transactions and collected more than $33 billion on behalf of participating entities.
Founded in 1992, NIC (NASDAQ: EGOV) is the nation's leading provider of official government websites, online services, and secure payment processing solutions. The company's innovative eGovernment services help make government more accessible to everyone through technology. The family of NIC companies provides eGovernment solutions for more than 3,500 federal, state, and local agencies in the United States. Forbes has named NIC as one of the “100 Best Small Companies in America” six times, most recently ranked at No. 36 (2014), and the company has been included four times on the Barron’s 400 Index. Additional information is available at http://www.egov.com.
Jennifer Buaas, 512-463-3602