Microsoft Azure Government HackFest + Training
Don't miss this great opportunity!
Location & Hours
Nov 07 2017
Nov 08 2017
Microsoft Austin Office
10900 Stone lake Blvd, Building B,
Austin, TX 78759
Join us! Microsoft Azure Government HackFest + Training, November 7-8, Austin Texas
Hosted by Microsoft with the Texas Department of Information Resources (DIR) as an educational sponsor.
Calling all developers and IT pros in the Austin-metro area! Microsoft's Azure Government team invites you to register and participate in a HackFest + Training event, November 7 – 8, at the Microsoft location in Austin, Texas.
Register now for this can't-miss opportunity that features one day of training presentations by members of the Microsoft Azure Government Engineering team followed by an all-day hackathon for all experience levels. (Yes, ALL are welcome – newcomers to experienced developers – in this friendly and supportive hackathon environment!) The event will culminate in final presentations and a social hour.
Azure Government HackFest +Training, you will have the opportunity to:
- Educate yourself and your team in on the latest features and technology available on Azure Government
- Engage directly with members of the Microsoft Azure Government Engineering team while getting hands-on experience building compelling solutions on Azure Government
- Meet and work with passionate technologists and compete in a friendly hackathon atmosphere!
- Earn continuing education credit.
Space is limited to this free event and on a first-come, first-served basis. Be sure to register and secure your spot today!
If you have any questions, please contact
Chance Bryant of DIR.
Any public sector employee, inclusive of higher education, is welcome to participate in this FREE Event. Microsoft partners may join teams.
Sign up here.
- Each team member needs to register individually. (See who already signed up.)
- Teams are usually comprised of 4-8 people
- If forming a team, include team name as part of registration.
- If you don't have enough people for a team, register and we will help you find/form a team.
- Important! Organizers may need to add people to teams or to re-organize teams based on skills and numbers so that everyone can participate fully.
Program: Featured Speakers & Agenda
- Steve Michelotti, Azure Government Chief Evangelist, Microsoft
- Will St. Germain, Azure Enterprise Architect
- Aaron Lind, Azure Data Platform Architect
- Brian Spann, Azure App/Dev Architect
Tuesday, November 7, 2017
|7:30 a.m. – 8:30 a.m. ||Check-in and Breakfast |
|8:30 a.m. – 9:00 a.m. ||Welcome and Introduction |
|9:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m. ||Azure Government Overview |
|10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. ||Getting Past Lift and Shift - PaaS on Azure Government |
|11:00 a.m. – Noon ||Building a Secure and Compliant App on Azure Government |
|Noon – 1:00 p.m. ||Lunch |
|1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. ||Cognitive Services on Azure Government |
|2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. ||HDInsight on Azure Government |
|3:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. ||Hands-on: Deploying IaaS on Azure Government |
|4:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. ||Hands-on: Deploying PaaS on Azure Government |
|5:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. ||HackFest Begins|
Wednesday, November 8, 2017
|8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. ||HackFest |
|3:00 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. ||HackFest Presentations |
|5:30 p.m. - 5:45 p.m. ||HackFest Awards |
|5:45 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. ||HackFest Social |
10900-B Stonelake Blvd., Suite 225, Austin, TX 78759
Parking: Free surface parking and a garage parking behind the building.
Listed below are examples of challenges that may be covered during the training on Day 1 or as the team challenge on Day 2. This list may be adjusted based on team interest and skills. On Day 2, for the Hackfest portion, each team will select one challenge from a list of choices.
Challenge #1 – Big Data Analytics and Reports
- Choose any open data (e.g., from data.gov) dataset.
- Use HDInsight to process/analyze the data in a meaningful way.
- Use Power BI to visualize the HDInsight results.
Challenge #2 – Compliant and Secure architecture
- Create a Virtual Network with multiple sub-nets
- Secure the access between the sub-nets – for example, web-tier subnet can only see business tier subnet; business-tier subnet can only see data-tier subnet, etc.
- We can provide architectural diagram if requested
Challenge #3 – Platform as a Service (PaaS)
- Build a PaaS solution in Azure Government.
- The solution should use several PaaS resources and they resources should work together seamlessly.
- Examples of PaaS services to use: Web apps, SQL Database, CosmosDB, Redis Cache, Storage (blogs, etc.), Azure Active Directory, Key Vault, etc.
Challenge #4 – Building a Bot with Cognitive Services
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
WHAT SHOULD I BRING INTO THE EVENT?
Bring your laptop. Wi-Fi access will be availalbe. Organizers will provide snacks and lunch.
DO I NEED TO HAVE MY OWN AZURE SUBSCRIPTION IN ADVANCE?
An Azure subscription will be provided for you for the event.
CAN I EARN CONTINUING EDUCATION CREDIT?
Yes, DIR will award continuing professional education (CPE) credit. You will receive documentation stating IRM CPEs and contact hours.
IS THIS AN ALL-NIGHT EVENT?
You can stay until 8pm on the first night, but then building closes at 8pm.
HOW CAN I CONTACT THE ORGANIZER WITH ANY QUESTIONS?
Contact Chance Bryant of DIR with questions or if you need to cancel.