Design Tips and Tactics to Create Great Infographics
Tuesday, July 17, 2018 | 8:30 - Noon | Austin, Texas
A free, half-day workshop for Texas state agencies, this follow-along workshop offers a combined presentation and demonstration of various data visualization design tools available. Data visualization designs include charts, diagrams, maps, and illustrations, and are used in presentations, reports, dashboards and infographics. Data visualization is a skill that must be learned, developed and practiced, and is the most effective way to communicate information and tell a compelling story to your audience. Research shows that visual information is more quickly and easily understood -- AND much more likely to be remembered by audiences. Randy's workshop will cover:
- The science behind visualizing data
- Telling a story with your data
- Best practices for designing good charts and data visualizations
- Examples and success stories of communicating with data visualization
- Pitfalls and tips for designing and publishing infographics
- Finding new, unique ways to visualize your data
- Demonstration in PowerPoint of how to clean up and improve the default chart designs
- Demonstration of various software and online tools - mostly free or low cost
Bring Your Laptop! (Optional)
Bring your laptop or tablet if you want to follow along with the instructor in exploring websites, examples, and tools – including use of PowerPoint. Wi-Fi will be available. Always follow your organization's policies regarding software use, including free apps.
Note - access to electrical outlets is extremely limited. Bring devices fully charged.
REGISTRATION & CANCELLATION POLICY
DIR does need a firm commitment from attendees for this unique, one-time event. A late cancellation fee will be billed to no shows and late cancellations.
Who May Register
This free workshop is open to personnel from Texas state government, inclusive of higher education.
Staff from other levels of government may register for the waitlist. If seats are available Thursday, July 5th, registrants will be confirmed in order of request.
Requesting a Seat in the Workshop
To ensure as many agencies as possible can participate, DIR may need to limit the number of attendees from a single agency.
1. Request a seat in the class via the online form.
2. Receive a confirmation from DIR (or notification of status).
3. Attend on 7/17, cancel by 7/11 noon, or send a substitute.
(Otherwise, expect an invoice for $50 from JFS Events.)
Request a seat in the workshop via this online form.
(Please return to the form to cancel, or to provide more information, such as a typo in original entry.
Cancellation Policy and No Show Fees
Cancellation Deadline: Noon, Wednesday, July 11, 2018.
All cancellations must be received via the enrollment form.
The workshop is free, however NO SHOWS and LATE CANCELLATIONS (those received after 12:00 noon on July 11) will be billed a $50 cancellation fee.
Invoices for cancellation fees will be issued by: JFS Events, P.O. Box 12731, Austin, TX 78711 (EIN 45-5124481)
Randy Krum is a data visualization designer, author of the book, Cool Infographics: Effective Communication with Data Visualization and Design, Founder of InfoNewt (a data visualization design firm), Organizer of the DFW Data Visualization Meetup group, instructor of Data Visualization Design at SMU CAPE, and runs the popular website Coolinfographics.com. Randy speaks at conferences, universities, corporate events, and government agencies about infographics design, data visualization methods, visual content marketing, and the effective use of visual communication.
LOCATION & PARKNG
Commons Learning Center within J.J. Pickle Research Campus
10100 Burnet Road, Austin, TX 78758
Southwest corner of Burnet Road and Braker Lane
DIR will email confirmed registrants a parking pass before the event. If displayed on the dash when entering the complex, you do not need to stop at the guard gate. Commons parking is available in the lots on the north and west sides of the building. Overflow parking is in the two lots on the east side of the building. Vehicles not displaying permits may be ticketed
- This free workshop is hosted by the Texas Department of Information Resources (DIR) and sponsored by TASSCC.
- DIR will award 3 hours of continuing education credit.
- If you have questions, please e-mail Joy Hall Bryant.
- For special accommodation needs or other assistance, please notify DIR at least one week in advance to allow time for an appropriate solution.