Research Specialist III
Military Occupation Specialty Code:
Army 49A, Marine Corp 8051, Airforce 61AX
Number of Vacancies:
Chief Technology Office / Technology Planning, Policy & Governance
$4166.66 - $5000.00/ monthly
Hours Worked Weekly:
300 W. 15th Street, Austin TX 78701
Refer Inquiries to:
(512) 463-5920 or (512) 463-6015
HOW TO APPLY:
- Select “Apply Online” to apply for the job at https://capps.taleo.net/careersection/ex/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en
- You must create a CAPPS Career Section candidate profile or be logged in to apply
- Update your profile and apply for the job by navigating through the pages and steps
- Once ready, select “Submit” on the “Review and Submit” page.
APPLICANTS MUST PROVIDE IN DEPTH INFORMATION IN THE SPECIAL TRAINING/SKILLS/QUALIFICATIONS AND EMPLOYMENT HISTORY SECTIONS TO DEMONSTRATE HOW THEY MEET THE POSITION QUALIFICATIONS
Applications are not accepted at the agency. Resumes are not accepted in lieu of the application. Incomplete applications may result in disqualification of applicant.
Candidates will be notified for appointments as determined by the selection committee.
Section 651.005 of the Government Code requires males, ages 18 through 25 years, to provide proof of their Selective Service registration or proof of their exemption from the requirement as a condition of state employment.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Department of Information Resources does not exclude anyone from consideration for recruitment, selection, appointment, training, promotion, retention, or any other personnel action, or deny any benefits or participation in programs or activities, which it sponsors on the grounds of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age or disability. Please call 512-463-5920 to request reasonable accommodations.
The Texas state agency responsible for statewide technology planning and policy is looking for a dynamic and effective individual to join their team as a Planning and Policy Analyst. This position will work with the Technology Planning, Policy, and Governance team at the Texas Department of Information Resources (DIR). This position performs moderately complex (journey-level) research work. The analyst will play an important role in planning the direction for and developing policy guidance for state government technology.
The individual will have excellent writing and communication skills and be involved in multiple projects including strategic planning, data analysis, project management, technical writing, and customer outreach to state agencies, institutions of higher education, and other government entities. Some knowledge and background in information technology and government is also expected. Works under general supervision, with moderate latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgement.
WHAT WE DO
By joining the team, you can expect to gain applied experience with some or all of the following efforts:
- Preparing the Information Technology (IT) State Strategic Plan, the Biennial Performance Report, and other reports required by legislation.
- Performing an array of technical, research, planning, policy, program assessment, and administrative activities related to projects.
- Conducting research and writing briefs, reports, and presentations to help government stakeholders better understand significant technology topics, trends, and services.
- Supporting statewide programs relating to Enterprise Services Solutions, Business Development, Accessibility, Statewide Project Management, and IRM Continuing Education and Guidance.
We are interested in candidates with the ability to:
- Understand IT and government
- Write about technology in plain language
- Organize, analyze, and present findings
- Handle multiple projects and initiatives
- Communicate effectively and clearly
- Bachelor’s degree and major course work in liberal arts, public policy, business, computer science or other technology degree, or a related field
EXPERIENCE & TRAINING REQUIRED
- Minimum of two (2) years of academic or professional experience in policy research, planning, assessment, writing and administrative activities
- Minimum of two (2) years of academic or professional experience in data and information collection and analysis
EXPERIENCE & TRAINING Preferred
- Experience with technology policy research, planning, assessment, writing and administrative activities
- Experience with strategic planning
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Ability to perform IT policy research, planning, assessment, and administrative activities
- Ability to support and collaborate in the planning, development, implementation, analysis, and documentation of IT policy
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and cordial working relationships at all organizational levels, including agency management, direct supervisors, co-workers, internal and external customers
- Ability to understand, follow and convey brief oral and/or written instructions
- Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing; in a clear and concise manner
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, and to support and contribute to a cohesive team environment
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to meet required deadlines
- Ability to work under pressure and exacting schedules to complete assigned tasks
- Ability to comply with all agency policies and applicable laws
- Ability to comply with all applicable safety rules, regulations and standards
- Proficiency in the use of applicable software necessary to perform work assignments – e.g. word processing, spreadsheets (Microsoft Office preferred), email (Outlook preferred), and online meeting software
- Regular and punctual attendance
- Criminal background check
- Provide a writing sample and take a written test at the time of interview
- The team regularly holds face-to-face meetings and interactions that spur discussions and brainstorming strategies.
- Frequent use of a personal computer, copiers, printers and telephones
- Frequent work under stress, as a team member, and in direct contact with others
- Frequent standing, walking, sitting, listening and talking
- Occasional bending and stooping
- Occasional lifting and climbing