Program Specialist IV
Military Occupation Specialty Code:
Number of Vacancies:
Chief Technology Office
$5166.67 - $6000.00 / monthly
Hours Worked Weekly:
300 W. 15th Street, Austin Tx 78701
Refer Inquiries to:
(512) 463-5920 or (512) 475-4612
HOW TO APPLY:
- Select “Apply Online” to apply for the job at https://capps.taleo.net/careersection/ex/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en
- You must create a CAPPS Career Section candidate profile or be logged in to apply
- Update your profile and apply for the job by navigating through the pages and steps
- Once ready, select “Submit” on the “Review and Submit” page.
APPLICANTS MUST PROVIDE IN DEPTH INFORMATION IN THE SPECIAL TRAINING/SKILLS/QUALIFICATIONS AND EMPLOYMENT HISTORY SECTIONS TO DEMONSTRATE HOW THEY MEET THE POSITION QUALIFICATIONS
Applications are not accepted at the agency. Resumes are not accepted in lieu of the application. Incomplete applications may result in disqualification of applicant.
Candidates will be notified for appointments as determined by the selection committee.
SELECTIVE SERVICE REGISTRATION REQUIREMENT
Section 651.005 of the Government Code requires males, ages 18 through 25 years, to provide proof of their Selective Service registration or proof of their exemption from the requirement as a condition of state employment.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Department of Information Resources does not exclude anyone from consideration for recruitment, selection, appointment, training, promotion, retention, or any other personnel action, or deny any benefits or participation in programs or activities, which it sponsors on the grounds of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age or disability. Please call 512-463-5920 to request reasonable accommodations.
The Texas state agency responsible for statewide technology planning and policy is looking for a dynamic and effective individual to join their team as a Planning and Policy Analyst. This position will work with the Technology Planning, Policy, and Governance team at the Texas Department of Information Resources (DIR). The analyst will play a significant role in planning and developing policy guidance for state government technology.
The individual will have excellent writing and communication skills and be involved in multiple projects including strategic planning, data analysis, project management, technical writing, and customer outreach to state agencies, institutions of higher education, and other government entities. Some knowledge and background in information technology and government is also expected.
Performs highly complex (senior-level) consultative services and technical assistance work. Work involves planning, developing, and implementing an agency program and providing assistance to program staff, governmental agencies, community organizations, or the general public. Develops and coordinates statewide policies, standards, and procedures. Leads and participates in agency work groups and focus groups in support of technology project planning management. Collaborates with DIR division liaisons and managers to gather information from subject matter experts and develops consensus on projects. Works under limited supervision, with moderate latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
WHAT WE DO
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience and aptitude to perform the following functions:
- Conducting in-depth analysis and research for reports mandated by the Texas Legislature
- Preparing the Information Technology (IT) State Strategic Plan
- Assessing IT statewide through the Biennial Performance Report
- Performing IT policy research, planning, assessment, and organize, analyze, and present findings
- Conducting research and writing briefs and reports to help government stakeholders better understand significant technology topics and trends
- Marketing policy initiatives to stakeholders and professional groups to encourage participation and interest in DIR efforts.
- Collaborating in the planning, development, implementation, analysis, and documentation of IT policy
- Preparing comprehensive reviews of literature, statutes, rules, and/or policies and preparing reports, studies, and specialized research projects.
- Assisting in the collection, organization, analysis, and/or preparation of materials in response to requests for information and reports.
- Collaborating with internal and external stakeholders in determining trends and drivers for policy initiatives.
- Conducting surveys and/or reviews to determine compliance with certification requirements, laws, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Monitoring, reviewing, and evaluating compliance with program policies and procedures, statutes, and rules for assigned program.
- Bachelor’s degree and major course work in liberal arts, public policy, business, computer science or other technology degree, or a related field
- Additional work-related experience may be substituted for education on a year-for-year basis.
EXPERIENCE & TRAINING REQUIRED
- Minimum of four (4) years of professional experience in policy research, planning, assessment, writing and administrative activities
- Minimum of four (4) years of professional experience in data and information collection and analysis
EXPERIENCE & TRAINING Preferred
- Experience with technology policy research, planning, assessment, writing and administrative activities
- Experience with strategic planning
- Experience working for a government entity or public-sector organization
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Knowledge of local, state, and federal laws related to the technology and information resources management.
- General knowledge and application of project management methods.
- Understanding of IT issues and government.
- Proficiency in developing policy, procedures, manuals and/or training materials.
- Ability to gather, assemble, correlate, analyze facts, prepare reports and devise solutions to problems.
- Ability to develop, evaluate, and interpret policies and procedures.
- Ability to analyze legislation and assist with the development of recommendations for policy and issues relating to the implementation and improvement of technology.
- Ability to write about technology in plain language and organize, analyze, and present findings in a clear concise manner.
- Ability to handle multiple projects and initiatives.
- Ability to review and evaluate information on service delivery methods, outputs, and activities to identify gaps in resources.
- Ability to identify challenges, recommend improvements, and coordinate activities to produce and market more effective programs.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and cordial working relationships at all organizational levels, including agency management, direct supervisors, co-workers, internal and external customers
- Ability to understand, follow and convey brief oral and/or written instructions
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing; in a clear and concise manner
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, and to support and contribute to a cohesive team environment
- Ability to train, lead, and/or prioritize the work of others
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to meet required deadlines
- Ability to work under pressure and exacting schedules to complete assigned tasks
- Ability to comply with all agency policies and applicable laws
- Ability to comply with all applicable safety rules, regulations and standards
- Proficiency in the use of applicable software necessary to perform work assignments – e.g. word processing, spreadsheets (Microsoft Office preferred), email (Outlook preferred), and online meeting software
- Regular and punctual attendance
- Criminal background check
- Provide a writing sample and take a written test at the time of interview
- The team regularly holds face-to-face meetings and interactions that spur discussions and brainstorming strategies.
- Frequent use of a personal computer, copiers, printers and telephones
- Frequent work under stress, as a team member, and in direct contact with others
- Frequent standing, walking, sitting, listening and talking
- Occasional bending, stooping, and lifting