Open until filled
Accountant III (Accounts Payable/Billing Representative)
Military Occupation Specialty Code:
Number of Vacancies:
Chief Financial Office/Accounting-Telecom AR/AP
$3,081.33 - $3,833.33/ monthly
Hours Worked Weekly:
300 W. 15th Street, Austin Tx 78701
1001 W. North Loop, Austin, TX 78756
Refer Inquiries to:
(512) 463-5920 or (512) 475-4612
HOW TO APPLY:
- Select “Apply Online” to apply for the job at https://capps.taleo.net/careersection/ex/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en
- You must create a CAPPS Career Section candidate profile or be logged in to apply
- Update your profile and apply for the job by navigating through the pages and steps
- Once ready, select “Submit” on the “Review and Submit” page.
Applicants must provide in depth information in the EXPERIENCE & CREDENTIALS section to demonstrate how they meet the position qualifications. Incomplete applications may result in disqualification.
Resumes may be uploaded as an attachment but are not accepted in lieu of the information required in the EXPERIENCE & CREDENTIALS section of the application.
Candidates will be notified for appointments as determined by the selection committee.
Section 651.005 of the Government Code requires males, ages 18 through 25 years, to provide proof of their
Selective Service registration or proof of their exemption from the requirement as a condition of state employment.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Department of Information Resources does not exclude anyone from consideration for recruitment, selection, appointment, training, promotion, retention, or any other personnel action, or deny any benefits or participation in programs or activities, which it sponsors on the grounds of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age or disability. Please call 512-463-5920 to request reasonable accommodations.
The Texas Department of Information Resources serves a wide spectrum of customers by providing technology leadership, solutions, and value to State of Texas government agencies, higher education, and local government entities of all sizes to facilitate the fulfillment of their core missions and by leveraging bulk buying power that enables eligible customers to buy IT products and services at aggressive discounts without the need for a lengthy procurement process. DIR is a fast-paced and collaborative environment with highly motivated and engaged employees dedicated to achieving the best value for the state.
Performs moderately complex (journey-level) accounting work in the area of validation and payment of telephone industry invoices for complex data services. Prepares, updates, maintains and summarizes records for telecommunication vendor invoices. Prepares reconciliation reports and researches unidentified balances. Monitors aging of accounts and performs necessary procedures to resolve past due balances. Maintains A/P records in the Centralized Accounting Payroll/Personnel System (CAPPS). Reviews billing changes and assists the Billing Coordinator with data entries in the state-wide telecommunications billing system. Works under general supervision with limited latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgement.
WHAT WE DO
The ideal candidate will have the ability to highlight their strengths in the following functions:
- Performs detailed review and validation of telecommunications vendor invoices referring to applicable tariffs and contracts
- Assists the Billing Coordinator with the monthly production of the customer invoice
- Researches cost management discrepancies and reports findings
- Enters A/P payment vouchers into CAPPS accounting system
- Enters purchase order requistions for Telecom vendor invoices in CAPPS
- May support various aspects of the Netplus Telemanagement system
- Develops and maintains spreadsheet applications
- Prepares and reviews certain statistical, performance and other reports and summaries
- Works within prescribed procedures and processes to meet deadlines
- Performs a variety of non-essential functions as required
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in Accounting, Finance or Business
EXPERIENCE & TRAINING REQUIRED
- Four years of experience working in a customer service environment
- Three years of experience in accounting
- Two years of experience in accounts payable
- Two years of experience in an MS Office environment
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and procedures
- Knowledge of telephone industry terminology and tariffs
- Strong spreadsheet skills
- Ability to remain current on industry tariffs, contracts, and legislation effecting vendor invoice reconciliation
- Ability to understand, follow and convey brief oral and/or written instructionS
- Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing; in a clear and concise manner
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, and to support and contribute to a cohesive team environment
- Ability to maintain a high degree of accuracy
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and cordial working relationships at all organizational levels, including agency management, direct supervisors, co-workers, internal and external customers
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to meet required deadlines
- Ability to work under pressure and exacting schedules to complete assigned tasks
- Ability to comply with all agency policies and applicable laws
- Ability to comply with all applicable safety rules, regulations and standards
- Proficiency in the use of a personal computer and applicable software necessary to perform work assignments e.g. word processing, spreadsheets (Microsoft Office preferred)
- Regular and punctual attendance
- Criminal background check
- Frequent use of personal computer, copiers, printers, and telephones
- Frequent standing, walking, sitting, listening, and talking
- Frequent work under stress, as a team member, and in direct contact with others
- Occasional bending and stooping
- Occasional lifting and climbing