IT Security Analyst II
Military Occupation Specialty Code:
Navy-002712, 002779; Army-25B; Marines-2847
Number of Vacancies:
Operations/Network Security Operations
$6,666.67 - $7,291.67/ monthly
Hours Worked Weekly:
300 W. 15th Street, Austin Tx 78701
1001 W. North Loop, Austin, TX 78756
Refer Inquiries to:
(512) 463-5920 or (512) 475-4612
HOW TO APPLY:
- Select “Apply Online” to apply for the job at https://capps.taleo.net/careersection/ex/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en
- You must create a CAPPS Career Section candidate profile or be logged in to apply
- Update your profile and apply for the job by navigating through the pages and steps
- Once ready, select “Submit” on the “Review and Submit” page.
Applicants must provide in depth information in the EXPERIENCE & CREDENTIALS section to demonstrate how they meet the position qualifications. Incomplete applications may result in disqualification.
Resumes may be uploaded as an attachment but are not accepted in lieu of the information required in the EXPERIENCE & CREDENTIALS section of the application.
Candidates will be notified for appointments as determined by the selection committee.
Section 651.005 of the Government Code requires males, ages 18 through 25 years, to provide proof of their Selective Service registration or proof of their exemption from the requirement as a condition of state employment.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Department of Information Resources does not exclude anyone from consideration for recruitment, selection, appointment, training, promotion, retention, or any other personnel action, or deny any benefits or participation in programs or activities, which it sponsors on the grounds of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age or disability. Please call 512-463-5920 to request reasonable accommodations.
The Texas Department of Information Resources serves a wide spectrum of customers by providing technology leadership, solutions, and value to State of Texas government agencies, higher education, and local government entities of all sizes to facilitate the fulfillment of their core missions and by leveraging bulk buying power that enables eligible customers to buy IT products and services at aggressive discounts without the need for a lengthy procurement process. DIR is a fast-paced and collaborative environment with highly motivated and engaged employees dedicated to achieving the best value for the state.
This position supports the Security Operations Environment for the state of Texas. Performs advanced (senior-level) information security analysis work. The Security Analyst is responsible for the operation of the various security solutions and the identification, investigation and resolution of security events detected by those systems. Work involves planning, implementing, and monitoring security measures for information systems and infrastructure to regulate access to computer data files and to prevent unauthorized modification, destruction, or disclosure of information. This includes security log reviews, event monitoring and administration of security platforms. Additional responsibilities include collaborating with other team members to develop or enhance processes that support the Information Security control environment. May assign, train and/or supervise the work of others. Works under limited supervision, with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
WHAT WE DO
The ideal candidate will have the ability to highlight their strengths in the following functions:
- Supports the overall security operations program. Provides expert leadership, assistance, and advice to DIR customers and staff regarding security procedures.
- Monitors and ensures that Service Providers meet prescribed comprehensive infrastructure and data security contractual obligations. Ensures Service Provider develops appropriate risk mitigation programs and practices. Works with the customer community to ensure DIR meets the customer’s security needs
- Reviews operational solutions to ensure compliance with approved security practices
- Coordinates communications regarding audits and security reviews as well as coordination of audit requests
- Reviews/evaluates plans, test outcomes, risk assessments, proposed processes, systems, preventative measures, and other proposals from a Data Center Services (DCS) security perspective
- Coordinates the implementation of computer system security plans with agency personnel and outside vendors
- Maintains up to date knowledge of IT security including awareness of new or revised security threats and/or the development of new attacks and threat vectors. Works as a first responder and security incident handler to all security incidents across DIRs shared services programs
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in information technology security, computer information systems, computer science, management information systems, or a related field
- Two additional years of experience may be substituted for each year of formal education. (High School diploma or equivalent certificate required.)
EXPERIENCE & TRAINING REQUIRED
- Five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in the IT industry
- Three (3) years of progressively responsible experience in IT security analysis or IT security management
- Three (3) years of experience and training in analyzing, recommending, developing and implementing security policies, standards and guidelines.
- Experience in implementing security platforms, processes and tools
- Experience with security tools and platforms such as IDS/IPS, SIEM, A/V, Firewalls, vulnerability scanners
- Experience with detecting and assessing threats such as network and asset vulnerabilities
- Have or obtain within one year or employment a Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA), Certified Information Security Manager (CISM), Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP), GIAC Security Essentials Certification (GSEC), Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH) or equivalent certification.
EXPERIENCE & TRAINING PREFERRED
- Experience in IT security analysis or IT security management in state government or other highly regulated environment
- Experience with Windows server and Linux operating systems
- Experience assessing risk for an organization
- Experience performing penetration test
- Experience in cyber incident response
- Experience with the Security Onion toolset
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Knowledge of server hardware and system software
- Knowledge of relevant DIR IT Security Services and regulations including Texas Government Code Chapter 2059, Texas Administrative Code § 202, and other related security codes, documentation, and best practices
- Knowledge of ITIL processes and standards
- Knowledge of standard concepts, practices, and procedures for computer operations or command centers
- Knowledge of benchmarking activities and expectations
- Knowledge of generally accepted information technology audit standards and practices; of information technology security and control practices; and of information technology management practices preferred.
- Knowledge of the security limitations and capabilities of computer systems; of technology across network layers and computer platforms; of the operational support of networking, operating systems, Internet technologies, databases, and security application support; and of information security practices, procedures, and regulations preferred.
- Skill in configuring, deploying, and monitoring security infrastructure
- Skill in collecting and analyzing complex data; in evaluating information and systems; in drawing logical conclusions; in assessing the effectiveness of internal controls over key information technology risks; in identifying significant exposures; in analyzing transactions and management information; in detecting changes in key risks and/or control effectiveness; in developing appropriate recommendations to address exposures; and in using analytical software tools, data analysis methods, and other computer applications preferred
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Good understanding of VPN management and trouble resolution.
- Good understanding of Windows and Linux Operating Systems
- Ability to take ownership of systems and processes and work both independently and in collaboration with team members, and to support and contribute to a cohesive team environment
- Ability to quickly adapt to rapidly changing business needs and operational directives and deliver superior results
- Ability to adapt information delivery based on target audience
- Ability to resolve complex security issues in diverse and decentralized environments
- Ability to assist executives, through discussion and facilitation, in the process of evaluating and implementing security architecture and policies
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and cordial working relationships at all organizational levels, including agency management, direct supervisors, co-workers, internal and external customers
- Ability to understand, follow, and convey brief oral and/or written instructions
- Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing; in a clear and concise manner
- Ability to work occasional overtime and/or a flexible schedule as needed to meet required deadlines
- Ability to work under pressure and exacting schedules to complete assigned tasks
- Ability to travel as necessary
- Ability to comply with all agency policy and applicable laws
- Ability to comply with all applicable health and safety rules, regulations, and standards
Proficiency in the use of a personal computer and applicable software necessary to perform work assignments e.g. word processing, spreadsheets (Microsoft Office preferred)
- Regular and punctual attendance
- Criminal background check
- Exposure to standard office conditions.
- Job involves moderate amount of walking daily.
- Indoor activity, exposure to fluorescent lighting, computer emissions, and confined space.
- Frequent use of personal computer, copiers, printers, and telephone
- Frequent standing, sitting, listening, and talking
- Occasional bending and stooping
- Frequent work under stress, as a team member, and in direct contact with others
- Infrequent lifting and climbing
- May work extended hours as needed