Manager V (Telecom Accounts Receivable/Payable Manager)
Military Occupation Specialty Code:
Coast Guard-MGT10, Army-36A, Marine Corps-3404, Airforce-65FX
Number of Vacancies:
Chief Financial Office
$5784.58 - $8700.00/ monthly
Hours Worked Weekly:
1001 West North Loop, Austin, TX 78756
Refer Inquiries to:
(512) 463-5920 or (512) 475-4612
HOW TO APPLY:
You must create a CAPPS Career Section candidate profile or be logged in to apply
Update your profile and apply for the job by navigating through the pages and steps
Once ready, select “Submit” on the “Review and Submit” page.
Applicants must provide in depth information in the EXPERIENCE & CREDENTIALS section to demonstrate how they meet the position qualifications. Incomplete applications may result in disqualification.
Resumes may be uploaded as an attachment but are not accepted in lieu of the information required in the EXPERIENCE & CREDENTIALS section of the application.
Interview Place/Time: Candidates will be notified for appointments as determined by the selection committee.
Notice: Section 651.005 of the Government Code requires males, ages 18 through 25 years, to provide proof of their
Selective Service registration or proof of their exemption from the requirement as a condition of state employment.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Department of Information Resources does not exclude anyone from consideration for recruitment, selection, appointment, training, promotion, retention, or any other personnel action, or deny any benefits or participation in programs or activities, which it sponsors on the grounds of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age or disability. Please call 512-463-5920 to request reasonable accommodations.
The Texas Department of Information Resources serves Texas government by leading the state's technology strategy, protecting state technology infrastructure, and offering innovative and cost-effective solutions for all levels of government. DIR leverages bulk buying power that enables eligible customers to buy IT products and services at aggressive discounts without the need for a lengthy procurement process. DIR is a fast-paced and collaborative environment with highly motivated and engaged employees dedicated to achieving the best value for the state.
This role performs highly advanced (senior level) managerial work administering the daily operations and activities of the Telecom Accounts Receivable & Payable department. Work involves providing direction and guidance to the Telecom Accounts Receivable (Billing) and Payable Department; establishing goals and objectives; developing guidelines, procedures, policies, rules, and regulations; developing schedules, priorities, and standards for achieving established goals; coordinating and evaluating business functions, department activities; developing and evaluating budget requests; and monitoring budget expenditures. Plans, assigns, and supervises the work of others. Works under minimal supervision of the Accounting Director, with extensive latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
WHAT WE DO
- The ideal candidate will have the ability to highlight their strengths in the following functions:
- Directs the Telecom receivable and payable department, ensuring compliance with agency policies and administrative requirements. Identifies areas for improvement and makes recommendations to improve operations
- Plans, assigns and oversees activities of staff; provides guidance and assistance to ensure effective and efficient operations; ensures compliance with internal controls, assists with training needs and development of individual and group performance goals, and provides timely performance evaluations
- Develops, monitors, and evaluates revenue assurance processes, including the implementation of new billing and validation programs. Implements and monitors effective validation processes and procedures to ensure that services are accurately and timely received and re-billed to the customers
- Ensures that a reliable monthly Accounts Receivable bill is produced and disseminated to state agencies and political subdivisions in a timely manner. Oversees all billing matters related to telecommunications services. Resolves billing issues between the agency, the agency's customers and the telephone industry
- Monitors and tracks vendor compliance with telecommunications services contracts and division performance; includes advising management on operational and/or customer services issues; and develop and produces related reports. Works closely with staff, vendors and customers to ensure customer expectations are met or exceeded; including researching and resolving complex billing issues
- Develops procedures and policies, and prepares special financial reports as necessary for DIR, the Comptroller of Public Accounts (CPA) and other interested parties. Assist in the preparation of the agency's Annual Financial Report according to guidelines from the CPA.
- Maintains the overall quality control of the accounts receivable & payable accounting system and ensures the integrity of system processing and accounting files; ensures that adequate internal controls are established and maintained in the automated accounting system
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited four (4) year college or university with major course work in accounting, business, finance or related field
EXPERIENCE & TRAINING REQUIRED
- Ten (10) years of experience in management and supervision in an accounting environment
- Strong accounting background, including preparation of financial reports or statements
- Extensive experience using Microsoft Word and Excel
EXPERIENCE & TRAINING PREFERRED
- Experience managing complex accounting functions
- Experience in telecommunications billing, government financial management, and/or budgeting for large projects/organizations
CERTIFICATIONS & LICENSES (PREFERRED)
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or CPA candidate
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Knowledge of telephone industry terminology, accounting principles, accounts receivable and billing
- Skill influencing others to perform their jobs in a timely, accurate, and effective manner
- Skill in finding solutions for or to deal proactively with work-related problems; including personnel related issues
- Ability to gather financial/accounting data and process into meaningful conclusions
- Ability to exercise courtesy, tact and diplomacy in all communications
- Ability to formulate sound decisions in relation to accounting services functions that best serve the overall mission and goals of the agency
- Ability to organize and direct the functions of the department and effectively supervise others; includes the timely submission of employee performance evaluations
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and cordial working relationships at all organizational levels, including agency management, direct supervisors, co-workers, internal and external customers
- Ability to understand, follow, and convey brief oral and/or written instructions
- Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing; in a clear and concise manner
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, and to support and contribute to a cohesive team environment
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to meet required deadlines
- Ability to work under pressure and exacting schedules to complete assigned tasks
- Ability to comply with all agency policies and applicable laws
- Ability to comply with all applicable safety rules, regulations and standards
- Proficiency in the use of a personal computer and applicable software necessary to perform work assignments
- Proficiency in the use of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems
- Regular and punctual attendance
- Criminal background check
- Frequent use of a personal computer, copiers, printers and telephones
- Frequent work under stress, as a team member, and in direct contact with others
- Frequent standing, walking, sitting, listening and talking
- Occasional bending, stooping, lifting and climbing