IT Security Analyst III (Senior Security Analyst)
Military Occupation Specialty Code:
Army 17C, 25B, 25D, 170A, 255S; Marine Corps 0681, 0688, 1721, Airforce 3D0X2, 3D0X3, 17DX
Number of Vacancies:
Program Operations/Network Security Operations
$6666.67 - $7916.67 / monthly
Hours Worked Weekly:
300 W. 15th St, Suite 1300, Austin, TX 78701
Refer Inquiries to:
(512) 463-5920 or (512) 475-4612
HOW TO APPLY:
- Select "Apply Online" to apply for the job at https://capps.taleo.net/careersection/ex/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en
- You must create a CAPPS Career Section candidate profile or be logged in to apply
- Update your profile and apply for the job by navigating through the pages and steps
- Once ready, select "Submit" on the "Review and Submit" page.
Applicants must provide in depth information in the EXPERIENCE & CREDENTIALS section to demonstrate how they meet the position qualifications. Incomplete applications may result in disqualification.
Resumes may be uploaded as an attachment but are not accepted in lieu of the information required in the EXPERIENCE & CREDENTIALS section of the application.
Candidates will be notified for appointments as determined by the selection committee.
Section 651.005 of the Government Code requires males, ages 18 through 25 years, to provide proof of their Selective Service registration or proof of their exemption from the requirement as a condition of state employment.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Department of Information Resources does not exclude anyone from consideration for recruitment, selection, appointment, training, promotion, retention, or any other personnel action, or deny any benefits or participation in programs or activities, which it sponsors on the grounds of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age or disability. Please call 512-463-5920 to request reasonable accommodations.
The Texas Department of Information Resources is the state agency charged with protecting the state's data and critical technology infrastructure, managing a multi-million dollar cooperative contracts program, and providing strategic technology leadership, solutions, and innovation to all levels of Texas government. DIR is a fast-paced and collaborative environment with highly motivated and engaged employees dedicated to achieving the best value for the state.
This position supports the Security Operations Environment for the state of Texas. The position also performs highly advanced (senior-level) information security analysis work and is responsible for the operation of the various security solutions and the identification, investigation and resolution of security events detected by those systems. Work involves planning, implementing, and monitoring security measures for information systems and infrastructure to regulate access to computer data files and to prevent unauthorized modification, destruction, or disclosure of information. This includes security log reviews, event monitoring and administration of security platforms. Additional responsibilities include collaborating with other team members to develop or enhance processes that support the Information Security control environment. Assigns, trains and/or supervises the work of other security analysts and engineers. Works under minimal supervision, with extensive latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
WHAT WE DO
The ideal candidate will have the ability to highlight their strengths in the following functions:
- Supports the overall security operations program. Develops key statistics and metrics for reporting on the NSOC and Shared Technology Services (STS) Security Program and vendors to State Leadership. Reviews operational solutions to ensure compliance with approved security practices.
- Monitors and ensures that Service Providers meet prescribed comprehensive infrastructure and data security contractual obligations. Ensures the Service Provider develops appropriate risk mitigation programs and practices.
- Works with the customer community to ensure DIR meets the customer's security needs. Provides expert leadership, assistance, and advice to DIR customers and staff regarding security procedures.
- Coordinates communications regarding audits and security reviews as well as coordination of audit requests
- Reviews/evaluates plans, test outcomes, risk assessments, proposed processes, systems, preventative measures, and other proposals from a Data Center Services (DCS) security perspective
- Maintains up to date knowledge of information technology (IT) security including awareness of new or revised security threats and/or the development of new attacks and threat vectors. Coordinates the implementation of computer system security plans with agency personnel and outside vendors
- Serves as a lead Security Analyst at the Network Security Operations Center (NSOC) and is in charge when NSOC Security Manger is unavailable. This role will require the ability to participate in an on-call rotation for security incidents and may serve as an escalation point for any bridges or declared security incidents across DIRs wide customer base and Shared Technology Services (STS).
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in information technology security, computer information systems, computer science, management information systems, or a related field
- Two additional years of work-related experience may be substituted for each year of formal education. (High School diploma or equivalent certificate required.)
- Have or obtain within one year of employment a Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA), Certified Information Security Manager (CISM), Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP), GIAC Security Essentials Certification (GSEC), or equivalent certification.
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
- Five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in the IT industry
- Three (3) years of progressively responsible experience in IT security analysis or IT security management
- Experience in security policy development and implementation
- Experience in implementing security platforms, processes and tools
- Experience with security tools and platforms such as intrusion detection systems (IDS)/intrusion protection systems(IPS), security information/event management (SIEM), audio/video(A/V), Firewalls, vulnerability scanning and all cloud providers and cloud security services and controls.
- Experience with detecting and assessing threats such as network and asset vulnerabilities
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING PREFERRED:
- Experience in IT security analysis or IT security management in state government or other highly regulated environment
- Experience and training in analyzing, recommending, developing and implementing cogent enterprise wide network and security policies, standards, and guidelines
- Experience working with state or federal IT regulatory issues and processes
- Experience in hands-on support of heterogeneous enterprise class networks (>20,000 devices).
- Experience with various Access Control methods and elements including multiple, large firewalls, virtual private networks (VPNs), and authentication (e.g. 802.1x and RADIUS)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of server hardware and system software
- Knowledge of relevant DIR IT Security Services and regulations including Texas Government Code Chapter 2059, Texas Administrative Code § 202, and other related security codes, documentation, and best practices
- Knowledge of Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) processes and standards
- Knowledge of standard concepts, practices, and procedures for computer operations or command centers
- Knowledge of benchmarking activities and expectations
- Knowledge of generally accepted information technology audit standards and practices; of information technology security and control practices; and of information technology management practices preferred.
- Knowledge of the security limitations and capabilities of computer systems; of technology across network layers and computer platforms; of the operational support of networking, operating systems, Internet technologies, databases, and security application support; and of information security practices, procedures, and regulations preferred.
- Skill in configuring, deploying, and monitoring security infrastructure
- Skill in collecting and analyzing complex data; in evaluating information and systems; in drawing logical conclusions; in assessing the effectiveness of internal controls over key information technology risks; in identifying significant exposures; in analyzing transactions and management information; in detecting changes in key risks and/or control effectiveness; in developing appropriate recommendations to address exposures; and in using analytical software tools, data analysis methods, and other computer applications preferred
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Good understanding of VPN management and trouble resolution.
- Good understanding of Windows and Unix Operating Systems
- Good understanding of State information security framework to include TAC 202, Agency Security plans, and Texas Cybersecurity Framework which is based on NIST.
- Ability to take ownership of systems and processes and work both independently and in collaboration with team members, and to support and contribute to a cohesive team environment
- Ability to quickly adapt to rapidly changing business needs and operational directives and deliver superior results
- Ability to adapt information delivery based on target audience
- Ability to resolve complex security issues in diverse and decentralized environments
- Ability to assist executives, through discussion and facilitation, in the process of evaluating and implementing security architecture and policies
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and cordial working relationships at all organizational levels, including agency management, direct supervisors, co-workers, internal and external customers
- Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing; in a clear and concise manner
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, and to support and contribute to a cohesive team environment
- Ability to understand, follow, and convey brief oral and/or written instructions
- Ability to work occasional overtime and/or a flexible schedule as needed to meet required deadlines
- Ability to work under pressure and exacting schedules to complete assigned tasks
- Ability to travel as necessary
- Ability to comply with all agency policy and applicable laws
- Ability to comply with all applicable health and safety rules, regulations, and standards
- Proficiency in the use of a personal computer and applicable software necessary to perform work assignments e.g. word processing, spreadsheets (Microsoft Office preferred)
- Regular and punctual attendance.
- Criminal background check
- Frequent use of personal computer, copiers, printers, and telephone
- Frequent standing, sitting, listening, and talking
- Occasional bending and stooping
- Frequent work under stress, as a team member, and in direct contact with others
- Infrequent lifting and climbing
- May work extended or on-call hours