Data Architect II (Enterprise Data Architect)
Data Architect II (Enterprise Data Architect)
Military Occupation Specialty Code:
Army-25B; Navy-IT; Coast Guard-IT; Marine Corps-2659, 8825, 8846; Air Force-3D0X1, 3D0X4, 61AX
Number of Vacancies:
Information Technology Services
$8469.17 – $9583.33 / monthly
Hours Worked Weekly:
300 W. 15th St, Suite 1300, Austin, TX 78701
Refer Inquiries to:
(512) 463-5920 or (512) 475-4612
HOW TO APPLY:
- Select “Apply Online” to apply for the job at https://capps.taleo.net/careersection/ex/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en
- You must create a CAPPS Career Section candidate profile or be logged in to apply
- Update your profile and apply for the job by navigating through the pages and steps
- Once ready, select “Submit” on the “Review and Submit” page.
Applicants must provide in depth information in the EXPERIENCE & CREDENTIALS section to demonstrate how they meet the position qualifications. Incomplete applications may result in disqualification.
Resumes may be uploaded as an attachment but are not accepted in lieu of the information required in the EXPERIENCE & CREDENTIALS section of the application.
Interview Place/Time: Candidates will be notified for appointments as determined by the selection committee.
Notice: Section 651.005 of the Government Code requires males, ages 18 through 25 years, to provide proof of their
Selective Service registration or proof of their exemption from the requirement as a condition of state employment.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Department of Information Resources does not exclude anyone from consideration for recruitment, selection, appointment, training, promotion, retention, or any other personnel action, or deny any benefits or participation in programs or activities, which it sponsors on the grounds of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age or disability. Please call 512-463-5920 to request reasonable accommodations.
The Texas Department of Information Resources is the state agency charged with protecting the state’s data and critical technology infrastructure, managing a multi-million dollar cooperative contracts program, and providing strategic technology leadership, solutions, and innovation to all levels of Texas government. DIR is a fast-paced and collaborative environment with highly motivated and engaged employees dedicated to achieving the best value for the state.
Performs highly complex (senior-level) data analysis and architecture work. Work involves data modeling and data analytics. Implements and managing database systems and data warehouses. Designs strategies and setting standards for operations, programming, and security. This is an Enterprise Architecture position with a focus on data, but duties will be broad and spread across multiple disciplines. May supervise the work of others. Works under minimal supervision, with extensive latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment. This position reports to the Division Director of Information Technology Services.
WHAT WE DO
The ideal candidate will have the ability to highlight their strengths in the following functions:
Collaborates with business and technical teams to determine standards and systems designs based on best practices while maintaining a security focus. Designs and documents essential IT processes and procedures. Leads, participates in, and tracks projects to ensure adherence to standards and design specifications.
Evaluates internal functions, business development strategies, and IT processes and suggesting improvements. Creates business architecture models to reflect the organization's strategies and goals and creating and implementing business visions and goals.
Determines database requirements by analyzing business operations, applications, and programming; reviewing business objectives; and evaluating current systems. Obtains data model requirements, develops, and implements data models and structures for new and existing data warehouse and data mart projects, supports data analytics and business intelligence systems, and maintains existing data models and data architectures.
Creates a robust, sustainable, and scalable data warehouse architecture that supports requirements and provides for expansion given budgetary constraints and availability of data and skilled resources.
Identifies appropriate data sourcing and extraction processes and identifies and nominates sources as systems of record for data usage in various applications. Implements corresponding database changes to support new and modified applications, and ensures new designs conform to data standards and guidelines; are consistent, appropriate for their intended use, and perform as required; and are secure from unauthorized access or update.
Develops governance, data warehouse guidelines, and a communication plan to enforce standards and conformity for creating data models; and assesses the impact of changes to technical and business metadata on enterprise applications.
Reviews measures to chart progress related to the completeness and quality of metadata for enterprise information; to support reduction of data redundancy and fragmentation and elimination of unnecessary movement of data; and to improve data quality.
Performs other duties as assigned.
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in computer information systems, computer science, management information systems, or a related field; or
- Additional work-related experience may be substituted for each year of formal education on a year-for-year basis. (high-school diploma or equivalent certificate required).
EXPERIENCE & TRAINING REQUIRED
- Fifteen (15) years of experience with SQL Server and stored procedure development.
- Ten (10) years of experience with full life cycle development, architecture, and implementation, of an enterprise data warehouse.
- Ten (10) years of experience with data engineering for business intelligence and business analytics.
- Ten (10) years of experience with enterprise information management processes and methodologies, relational database management systems.
- Ten (10) years of experience with end-to-end design and architecture of enterprise-level data warehouse solutions.
- Ten (10) years of experience in dimensional modeling and design for data warehouse development.
- Ten (10) years of experience designing Master Data Management solutions.
- Ten (10) years of experience with Extract, Transform, and Load (ETL) and Extract, Load, and Transform (ELT) development.
- Ten (10) years of experience with Relational Online Analytical Processing (ROLAP) and Multidimensional Online Analytical Processing (MOLAP) development.
- Ten (10) years of experience with development of reports and dashboards.
- Ten (10) years of experience leading stakeholder engagements on the gathering, documentation & detailed analysis of business requirements.
EXPERIENCE & TRAINING PREFERRED
- Ten (10) years of experience with the Erwin Data modeling tool.
- Ten (10) years of experience with MS Project or comparable project management tool.
- Ten (10) years of experience with development following the Agile formal/structured methodology.
- Ten (10) years of experience in dimensional modeling and design following Kimball, Inmon, or DataVault methodologies to data warehouse development.
- Ten (10) years of experience with creating and implementing Data Governance solutions.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Knowledge of master data, metadata, reference data, data warehousing, and business intelligence principles and processes, including the technical architecture of enterprise information management processes and methodologies, relational database management systems, metadata management, business intelligence, and business analytics tools.
- Knowledge of local, state, and federal laws and regulations relevant to data management and data governance.
- Knowledge of the limitations and capabilities of computer systems.
- Knowledge of technology across all network layer and computer platforms.
- Knowledge of operational support of networks, operating systems, Internet technologies, databases, and security applications.
- Knowledge of project management software and system development life cycle concepts.
- Ability to apply analytical, trouble shooting, and problem-solving skills in data related projects.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with all project stakeholders, including executive leadership, business subject area leaders, and project staff.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively to individuals and groups; to make effective presentations in formal and informal settings.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, to a variety of audiences. Must be an articulate and persuasive leader, able to communicate concepts to a broad range of technical and non-technical staff.
- Ability to make critical decisions in the best interest of the agency and its mission and goals, while following agency procedures.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and manage multiple tasks and directional changes under short and firm deadlines.
- Ability to understand, follow and convey brief oral and/or written instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and cordial working relationships at all organizational levels, including agency management, direct supervisors, co-workers, internal and external customers.
- Ability to exercise courtesy, tact, and diplomacy in all communications; including the ability to exercise discretion when handling confidential information.
- Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing, in a clear and concise manner.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, and to support and contribute to a cohesive team environment.
- Ability to work with limited supervision and to schedule workload to meet requirements and deadlines of the position.
- Ability to work under pressure and exacting schedules to complete assigned tasks.
- Ability to comply with all agency policies and applicable laws.
- Ability to comply with all applicable safety rules, regulations, and standards.
- Skilled in the use of a personal computer and applicable software to perform job duties (Microsoft Office, e.g. Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.)
- Regular and punctual attendance
- Criminal background check
- Frequent use of a personal computer, copiers, printers and telephones
- Frequent work under stress, as a team member, and in direct contact with others
- Frequent standing, walking, sitting, listening, and talking
- Occasional bending and stooping
- Occasional lifting and climbing
- Occasional overtime required