Open Until Filled
Budget Analyst III
Military Occupation Specialty Code:
Army-36AB; Coast Guard-FIN10; Marine Corps-3451, 8844; Air Force-65FX
Number of Vacancies:
Chief Financial Office / Budget Department
$4,023.17 – $5000.00/ monthly
Hours Worked Weekly:
300 W. 15th Street, Austin Tx 78701
Refer Inquiries to:
(512) 463-5920 or (512) 475-4612
HOW TO APPLY:
- Select “Apply Online” to apply for the job at https://capps.taleo.net/careersection/ex/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en
- You must create a CAPPS Career Section candidate profile or be logged in to apply
- Update your profile and apply for the job by navigating through the pages and steps
- Once ready, select “Submit” on the “Review and Submit” page.
Applicants must provide in depth information in the EXPERIENCE & CREDENTIALS section to demonstrate how they meet the position qualifications. Incomplete applications may result in disqualification.
Resumes may be uploaded as an attachment but are not accepted in lieu of the information required in the EXPERIENCE & CREDENTIALS section of the application.
Interview Place/Time: Candidates will be notified for appointments as determined by the selection committee.
Notice: Section 651.005 of the Government Code requires males, ages 18 through 25 years, to provide proof of their
Selective Service registration or proof of their exemption from the requirement as a condition of state employment.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Department of Information Resources does not exclude anyone from consideration for recruitment, selection, appointment, training, promotion, retention, or any other personnel action, or deny any benefits or participation in programs or activities, which it sponsors on the grounds of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age or disability. Please call 512-463-5920 to request reasonable accommodations.
The Texas Department of Information Resources is the state agency charged with protecting the state’s data and critical technology infrastructure, managing a multi-billion dollar cooperative contracts program, and providing strategic technology leadership, solutions, and innovation to all levels of Texas government. DIR serves a wide spectrum of customers including State of Texas government agencies, county or local government offices, and public education entities of all sizes. DIR is a fast-paced and collaborative environment with highly motivated and engaged employees dedicated to achieving the best value for the state.
This role performs highly complex (senior-level) budget preparation and analysis work. Work involves coordinating budgetary activities, reviewing, and analyzing budgets and performance measures, and providing technical advice and assistance on budgetary matters. Works under limited supervision of the Budget Manager, with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
WHAT WE DO
- Assists with the preparation of budgetary and management reports.
- Identifies and analyzes expenditure patterns and makes recommendations on the use of funds.
- Develops and evaluates performance and workload measures.
- Examines operating budgets to determine whether funds have been appropriately allocated.
- Prepares legislative appropriations requests, fiscal notes, analyses of legislation, requests for federal funding, and agency budget instructions.
- Develops and reviews financial and operating budget reports for accuracy and identifies areas to apply funds.
- Assists with expenditure approvals to ensure compliance with DIR Board-approved budget, the General Appropriations Act, and relevant Government Code.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in accounting, finance, business, public administration, or a related field.
EXPERIENCE & TRAINING REQUIRED
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience in budget preparation and analysis and in performance measurement reporting work.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience analyzing financial data.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Knowledge of accounting, budgetary, and management principles, practices, and procedures
- Knowledge of forecasting methodologies.
- Knowledge of automated accounting, budgeting, and forecasting programs; and of performance measurement and reporting.
- Ability to analyze fiscal management information to determine appropriate use of funds.
- Ability to perform statistical analyses.
- Ability to identify and develop budgetary reports and schedules.
- Ability to analyze management problems and develop and present solutions.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to meet required deadlines.
- Ability to work under pressure and exacting schedules to complete assigned tasks.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and cordial working relationships at all organizational. levels, including agency management, direct supervisors, co-workers, internal and external customers.
- Ability to understand, follow and convey brief oral and/or written instructions.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing, in a clear and concise manner.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, and to support and contribute to a cohesive team environment.
- Ability to comply with all agency policies and applicable laws.
- Ability to comply with all applicable safety rules, regulations, and standards.
- Proficiency in the use of a personal computer and applicable software necessary to perform work assignments e.g. word processing, spreadsheets (Microsoft Office).
- Intermediate Microsoft Excel experience
- Regular and punctual attendance.
- Criminal background check.
- Frequent use of a personal computer, copiers, printers, and telephones.
- Frequent work under stress, as a team member, and in direct contact with others.
- Frequent standing, walking, sitting, listening, and talking.
- Occasional bending and stooping.
- Occasional lifting and climbing.