Accountant IV (General Ledger Team Support)
Open Until Filled.
Accountant IV (General Ledger Team Support)
Military Occupation Specialty Code:
Army-36A; Coast Guard-SK, FIN10; Marine Corps-3451, 3404, 8844; Air Force-65FX, 65WX
Number of Vacancies:
Chief Financial Office / General Ledger / AR
$3520.33 - $4500.00
Hours Worked Weekly:
This position may be eligible for flexible work hours and/or a hybrid work schedule if certain program guidelines are met; working arrangements may change at any time at the sole discretion of the agency.
300 W. 15th, Austin, Texas 78701
Refer Inquiries to:
(512) 475-4922 or (512) 475-4612
HOW TO APPLY:
- Select “Apply Online” to apply for the job at https://capps.taleo.net/careersection/ex/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en
- You must create a CAPPS Career Section candidate profile or be logged in to apply
- Update your profile and apply for the job by navigating through the pages and steps
- Once ready, select “Submit” on the “Review and Submit” page
- If you have problems accessing the CAPPS Career Section, please email the CAPPS Recruiting Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Applicants must provide in-depth information in the EXPERIENCE & CREDENTIALS section to demonstrate how they meet the position qualifications. Incomplete applications may result in disqualification.
- Resumes may be uploaded as an attachment but are not accepted in lieu of the information required in the EXPERIENCE & CREDENTIALS section of the application.
Candidates will be notified of appointments as determined by the selection committee.
Section 651.005 of the Government Code requires males, ages 18 through 25 years, to provide proof of their Selective Service registration or proof of their exemption from the requirement as a condition of state employment.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Department of Information Resources does not exclude anyone from consideration for recruitment, selection, appointment, training, promotion, retention, or any other personnel action, or deny any benefits or participation in programs or activities, which it sponsors on the grounds of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, or disability. Please call 512-463-5920 to request reasonable accommodations.
The Texas Department of Information Resources is the state agency charged with protecting the state’s data and critical technology infrastructure, managing a multi-million-dollar cooperative contracts program, and providing strategic technology leadership, solutions, and innovation to all levels of Texas government. DIR is a fast-paced and collaborative environment with highly motivated and engaged employees dedicated to achieving the best value for the state.
Performs moderately complex to complex (journey-level) general ledger accounting work. Work involves preparing financial statements, records, documents, and reports. Includes posting and auditing of the general ledger. Involves strong emphasis on interpersonal skills and problem resolution. May train others. Works under general supervision with limited to moderate latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
WHAT WE DO
The ideal candidate will have the ability to highlight their strengths in the following functions:
- Prepares financial statements, reports, schedules, and exhibits; and prepares, processes, and audits general journal entries.
- Audits accounting and financial documents for accuracy and compliance with policies and procedures and with state and federal statutes.
- Classifies, codes, posts, and balances financial and accounting documents and records.
- Analyzes and recommends improvements, adaptations, or revisions to the accounting system and accompanying procedures.
- Prepares, reconciles, and distributes daily cash flow reports.
- Researches all reconciliation discrepancies and reports findings.
- Prepares and enters accounting transactions into journals and ledgers.
- Reconciles accounts and bank statements or appropriation balances.
- Assists with Asset Management inventory and reconciliation.
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in accounting
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING REQUIRED
- Four (4) years of experience in general ledger accounting and financial operations
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING PREFERRED
- Experience working in an accounting environment in a state of Texas agency
- Experience using the Comptroller of Public Accounts’ Uniform Statewide Accounting System (USAS)
- Experience using CPA’s Centralized Accounting and Payroll/Personnel System (CAPPS) or PeopleSoft
- Experience assisting with payroll
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and procedures
- Knowledge of governmental accounting, budget control methods, policies, and procedures; and of laws and regulations pertaining to financial operations
- Knowledge of Texas state agency operations, policies, and procedures preferred
- Knowledge of automated financial systems
- Skill in the application of accounting theory and techniques
- Ability to evaluate, interpret, develop, and prepare pertinent accounting data and reports in a clear and concise manner
- Ability to work accurately and effectively with numeric detail
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing in a clear and concise manner
- Ability to understand, follow and convey brief oral and/or written instructions
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and cordial working relationships at all organizational levels including agency management, direct supervisors, co-workers, internal and external customers
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, and to support and contribute to a cohesive team environment
- Ability to work a flexible schedule and/or occasional overtime to meet required deadlines
- Ability to work under pressure and exacting schedules to complete assigned tasks
- Ability to comply with all safety rules, regulations, and standards
- Ability to comply with all agency policies and applicable laws
- Proficiency in the use of a computer and applicable software necessary to perform work assignments (e.g., word processing, spreadsheets). Microsoft Office preferred
- Intermediate (or better) Microsoft Excel skills (preferred)
- Regular and punctual attendance at the workplace
- Criminal background check
- Frequent use of a personal computer, copiers, printers, and telephones
- Frequent work under deadline-driven pressure, as a team member, and in direct contact with multiple agency divisions
- Frequent standing, walking, sitting, listening, and talking
- Occasional bending and stooping
- Occasional lifting and climbing