Data Analyst III
Data Analyst III
Military Occupation Specialty Code:
Navy 182X, 682X; Coast Guard SEI15; Marine Corps 8846, 8848
Number of Vacancies:
Chief Technology Office/Technology, Planning, Policy, and Governance
$5670.58 – $6583.33/monthly
Hours Worked Weekly:
This position may be eligible for flexible work hours and/or a hybrid work schedule if certain program guidelines are met; working arrangements may change at any time at the sole discretion of the agency.
300 W. 15 Street, #1300, Austin Texas, 78701
Refer Inquiries to:
People and Culture Office
(512) 463-5920 or (512) 475-4612
HOW TO APPLY:
- Select “Apply Online” to apply for the job at https://capps.taleo.net/careersection/ex/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en
- You must create a CAPPS Career Section candidate profile or be logged in to apply.
- Update your profile and apply for the job by navigating through the pages and steps.
- Once ready, select “Submit” on the “Review and Submit” page.
- If you have problems accessing the CAPPS Career Section, please email the CAPPS Recruiting Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Applicants must provide in-depth information in the EXPERIENCE & CREDENTIALS section to demonstrate how they meet the position qualifications. Incomplete applications may result in disqualification.
- Resumes may be uploaded as an attachment but are not accepted in lieu of the information required in the EXPERIENCE & CREDENTIALS section of the application.
Candidates will be notified of appointments as determined by the selection committee.
Section 651.005 of the Government Code requires males, ages 18 through 25 years, to provide proof of their Selective Service registration or proof of their exemption from the requirement as a condition of state employment.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Department of Information Resources does not exclude anyone from consideration for recruitment, selection, appointment, training, promotion, retention, or any other personnel action, or deny any benefits or participation in programs or activities, which it sponsors on the grounds of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, or disability. Please call 512-463-5920 to request reasonable accommodations.
The Texas Department of Information Resources is the state agency charged with protecting the state’s data and critical technology infrastructure, managing a multi-million-dollar cooperative contracts program, and providing strategic technology leadership, solutions, and innovation to all levels of Texas government. DIR is a fast-paced and collaborative environment with highly motivated and engaged employees dedicated to achieving the best value for the state.
The person in this role performs moderately complex (journey-level) data collection, data analysis, and research work that includes conducting studies or evaluations, designing surveys, collecting primary and secondary data, validating data quality, and presenting results through reports, dashboards, white papers, and presentations.
The individual will have excellent verbal and written communication skills, works under general supervision, and has moderate latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment. This position requires being involved in multiple projects including strategic planning, data collection and analysis, project management, policy and report writing, and customer outreach to state agencies, institutions of higher education, and other government entities.
WHAT WE DO
The ideal candidate will have the ability to highlight their strengths in the following functions:
- Responsible for the management, implementation, stakeholder engagement, and enhancement of the Information Resources Deployment Review (IRDR) and the Information Resources Corrective Action Plan (IR-CAP) process, ensuring alignment of IRDR questions with statewide strategic goals and legislative direction.
- Conducts research, analyzes data, and performs statistical analysis to support the development of the State Strategic Plan for Information Resources Management, Biennial Performance Report, Report on State Technology Expenditures, IT Infrastructure Report, and other required reports.
- Develops, conducts, and analyzes responses to surveys using established survey methodologies and completes surveys in support of DIR programs.
- Conducts research, technology briefs, and develops guides to support government stakeholder implementation of significant technology topics and trends.
- Consults with management, customers, and stakeholders to manage program priorities, ensure compliance, and define scope, purpose, objectives, time frames, and resource requirements to ensure completion of projects.
- Assists in developing data quality measures, analyzing data quality results, and implementing necessary changes to ensure data quality improvement, may implement data collection systems, data analytics, and other strategies that optimize statistical efficiency and quality.
- Performs an array of technical, research, planning, policy, program assessment, and administrative activities and serves as the data steward for Chief Technology Office programs.
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in data science, business analytics, computer science, computer information systems, management information systems, accounting, finance, mathematics, statistics, economics, or a related field.
- Additional work-related experience may be substituted for education on a year-for-year basis. High School diploma required.
EXPERIENCE & TRAINING REQUIRED
- Three (3) years of professional experience in data collection, management, analytics, statistical analysis, or related area that required knowledge of a variety of the field’s concepts, practices, and procedures.
- Two (2) years of academic or professional experience in policy research, planning, assessment, and report writing.
- Experience with spreadsheets, databases, and data visualization or business intelligence tools.
EXPERIENCE & TRAINING PREFERRED
- Experience with data collection, management, analytics, and statistical analysis related to technology initiatives and implementation.
- Experience working for a government entity.
- Experience using Microsoft Power BI, Salesforce, or other similar tools.
- Experience with publishing to the Texas Open Data Portal.
- Experience with relational databases.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Knowledge of statistics and analyzing data sets; of running queries, report writing, and presenting findings of data models, database design development, data mining, and segmentation techniques; and of record keeping, including security procedures for handling, protecting, and distributing confidential data.
- Knowledge of state and federal accessibility laws related to the use and application of technology in Texas government and institutions of higher education.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Excel and other tools for data collection and analysis
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong project management, organizational, and time management skills
- Excellent writing and communication skills; and ability to communicate both verbally and in writing in a clear and concise manner.
- Skill in problem resolution and ability to identify and implement best practices.
- Demonstrated ability to work on concurrent tasks in a fast-paced environment while effectively prioritizing and coordinating work assignments.
- Ability to collect, analyze and compile data; to prepare reports; to maintain accuracy and attention to detail; and to convey and present data findings effectively to internal and external customers and stakeholders.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and cordial working relationships at all organizational levels, including agency management, direct supervisors, co-workers, and internal and external customers.
- Ability to understand, follow and convey brief oral and/or written instructions.
- Ability to interpret technical information and communicate that information in a non-technical manner.
- Ability to produce a high degree of accuracy in work.
- Ability to handle multiple projects and initiatives.
- Ability to consult with customers and stakeholders as needed to ensure completion of reporting requirements.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, and to support and contribute to a cohesive team environment.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to meet required deadlines.
- Ability to work under pressure and exacting schedules to complete assigned tasks.
- Ability to comply with all agency policies and applicable laws.
- Ability to comply with all applicable safety rules, regulations, and standards.
- Proficiency in the use of a personal computer and applicable software necessary to perform work assignments, e.g., word processing, and spreadsheets (Microsoft Office preferred)
- Experience with Microsoft Power BI, Salesforce, or similar software tools
- Experience using virtual meeting and collaboration tools such as Zoom and Teams
- Regular and punctual attendance
- Criminal background check
- Frequent use of personal computers, copiers, printers, and telephones.
- Frequent standing, walking, sitting, listening, and public speaking.
- Occasional bending and stooping.
- Frequent work under stress, as a team member, and in direct contact with others.
- Occasional lifting and climbing.
- Occasional travel.