Produced and hosted by Alation, AWS, and Daman Consulting. DIR is an educational sponsor.
In 2021, the state of Texas passed into law SB-475 which created the state risk and authorization management program (TX-RAMP). This legislation requires Texas state agencies and institutions of higher education to implement best practices in data management, security, privacy, and governance. For many state agencies and institutions, this mandate and the related requirements for data governance have proved to be challenging, particularly when translating the legislative mandate into effective practice on the ground.
This workshop is designed to provide more pragmatic guidance to an audience of Chief Data Officers (CDOs), and data and technology leaders on how to help their organizations comply with legislative requirements while maturing their data governance practices to meet data sharing, privacy and security goals.
The keynote will outline critical elements of an effective operating model for data governance. The focus is on developing a shared capability along with processes that foster trust in data, through accountability, transparency, and visibility. The end goal is to enable data sharing and use while ensuring privacy and security.
Panelists will share experiences in completing maturity assessments (as required by SB475) and in jumpstarting their Data Governance (DG) programs. They will share learned wisdom on how to overcome these challenges and key success factors in continuing to mature their data governance programs.
Technical specialists will share tips and techniques around implementing catalogs. Participant driven discussion on all related topics will be addressed in a small group Q&A format.
- Understanding how to define compliance with SB 475 and some elements of TX_RAMP.
- Understand what constitutes an effective DG operating model – critical technical capabilities complemented by processes (accountability, transparency and visibility) and appropriate organizational structures.
- Key challenges faced by organizations in jumpstarting DG programs.
- Overcoming key challenges and adopting critical best practices in evangelizing and gaining cooperation across the enterprise.
- Implementing Catalogs – key challenges, tips and techniques.
For questions, please contact Elliott Kelly, [email protected].
Date & Location
Date & Time
Domain 10 Building, 11815 Alterra Parkway, 9th floor, Austin, TX 78758