Systems Administrator V
Systems Administrator V
Military Occupation Specialty Code:
Army 25B, 255N, 255Z; Coast Guard ISM, Marine Corps 06O5; Space Force 5COX1N
Fair Labor Standards Act Status:
Number of Vacancies:
COO/Program Operations/CTS Network Engineering
$6000.00 - $8000.00 / monthly
Hours Worked Weekly:
This position may be eligible for flexible work hours and/or a hybrid work schedule if certain program guidelines are met; working arrangements may change at any time at the sole discretion of the agency.
300 West 15th Street, #1300 / Austin, Texas 78701
Refer Inquiries to:
People and Culture Office
(512) 463-5920 or (512) 475-4957
How To Apply:
- Select “Apply Online” to apply for the job at https://capps.taleo.net/careersection/ex/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en
- You must create a CAPPS Career Section candidate profile or be logged in to apply.
- Update your profile and apply for the job by navigating through the pages and steps.
- Once ready, select “Submit” on the “Review and Submit” page.
- If you have problems accessing the CAPPS Career Section, please email the CAPPS Recruiting
Help Desk at [email protected]
- Applicants must provide in-depth information in the EXPERIENCE & CREDENTIALS section to
demonstrate how they meet the position qualifications. Incomplete applications may result in
- Resumes may be uploaded as an attachment but are not accepted in lieu of the information
required in the EXPERIENCE & CREDENTIALS section of the application.
Candidates will be notified for appointments as determined by the selection committee.
Selective Service Registration:
Section 651.005 of the Government Code requires males, ages 18 through 25 years, to provide proof of
their Selective Service registration or proof of their exemption from the requirement as a condition of
H-1B Visa Sponsorship:
We are unable to sponsor or take over sponsorship of an employment Visa at this time.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Department of Information Resources does not exclude anyone from consideration for recruitment, selection, appointment, training, promotion, retention, or any other personnel action, or deny any benefits or participation in programs or activities, which it sponsors on the grounds of race, color,
national origin, sex, religion, age, or disability. Please call 512-463-5920 to request reasonable accommodation.
What We Do
The Texas Department of Information Resources is the state agency charged with protecting the state’s data and critical technology infrastructure, managing a multi-million-dollar cooperative contracts program, and providing strategic technology leadership, solutions, and innovation to all levels of Texas government. DIR is a fast-paced and collaborative environment with highly motivated and engaged employees dedicated to achieving the best value for the state.
This position performs advanced (senior-level) systems administration work. Manages network monitoring environment for the State of Texas core MPLS network. Work involves the operation and maintenance of multiple network monitoring tools and their related infrastructure environment. Works
with network engineers to coordinate network infrastructure configurations related to network monitoring. Augments DNS operations team providing public DNS services for State of Texas agencies, as well as maintaining the DNS environment underlying infrastructure. Works under minimal
supervision with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
- Manages network monitoring tools, providing continuous improvement in the monitoring, reporting, and notification capabilities.
- Manages Windows server environment related to network monitoring tools.
- Manages SQL database environment related to network monitoring tools.
- Works with virtualization administrators to maintain server environment.
- Provides guidance to network team regarding network monitoring configurations.
- Works across multiple teams and organizations as required for platform integration.
- Assists in developing budgets.
- Performs other work-related duties as assigned.
- Graduation from a four-year college or university with major coursework in computer science, management information systems, or a related field.
- Additional work-related experience may be substituted for education on a year-for-year basis (High School diploma required)
Experience and Training Required
- 2 years of experience with SolarWinds Orion.
- 2 years of experience with Microsoft Windows server administration.
Experience and Training Preferred
- Experience with SQL database administration.
- Experience with SolarWinds API’s for ticketing systems.
- Experience with virtualized server infrastructure.
- Experience with Linux and/or FreeBSD.
- Experience with DNS
- Experience with alternative network monitoring solutions.
- Experience with Cisco routing and switching.
- Experience in a service provider environment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of Windows server platforms and administration.
- Knowledge of Linux server platforms and administration.
- Knowledge of SNMP configuration and monitoring.
- Knowledge of SQL database administration.
- Knowledge of networking principles and the OSI model.
- Knowledge of DNS systems administration.
- Ability to process information logically.
- Ability to conduct short-range and long-range project planning studies.
- Ability to plan, organize and coordinate work assignments.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and cordial working relationships at all organizational levels, including agency management, direct supervisors, co-workers, internal and external customers.
- Ability to understand, follow and convey brief oral and/or written instructions.
- Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing, in a clear and concise manner.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, and to support and contribute to a cohesive team environment.
- Ability to work under pressure and exacting schedules to complete assigned tasks.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to meet required deadlines.
- Ability to comply with all agency policy and applicable laws.
- Ability to comply with all applicable safety rules, regulations, and standards.
Proficiency in the use of a computer and applicable software necessary to perform work assignments e.g., word processing, spreadsheets (Microsoft Office preferred).
- Regular and punctual attendance at the workplace.
- Criminal background check.
- Frequent use of computers, copiers, printers, and telephones.
- Frequent standing, walking, sitting, listening, and talking.
- Frequent work under stress, as a team member, and in direct contact with others.
- Occasional bending, stooping, lifting, and climbing.