Ransomware Tips and Information
Cybersecurity Best Practices
- It is everyone’s responsibility to remain cyber aware and practice information safety.
- Do not open suspicious or unexpected links or attachments in emails.
- Hover over hyperlinks in emails to verify they are going to the anticipated site.
- Be aware of malicious actors attempting to impersonate legitimate staff, and check the email sender name against the sender’s email address.
- Use unique strong passwords or pass-phrases for all accounts.
- Do not provide personal or organizational information unless you are certain of the requestor’s authority, identity, and legitimacy.
- Alert your IT staff or supervisor if you have any concerns about the legitimacy of any email, attachment, or link.
- Take advantage of available cybersecurity awareness training.
For more information, including ransomware facts and cybersecurity tips please see the attached guides below:
Texas Department of Information Resources (DIR) led the response to a
ransomware attack against entities across Texas.
September 5, 2019 - Update on Texas Local Government Ransomware Attack
August 20, 2019 - Update on August 2019 Texas Cyber Incident
August 17, 2019 - Update on August 2019 Texas Cyber Incident
Contracting and Purchasing Information for Impacted Entities
The Texas Department of Information Resources (DIR) leverages the state's purchasing power to negotiate competitive discounts on information and communications technology products and services. DIR's streamlined cooperative purchasing program allows Texas public entities to purchase through pre-negotiated contracts that meet stringent state procurement requirements. Every dollar that participants save on the purchase of goods and services through this program is a dollar that can be redirected to agencies' mission-critical services.
DIR offers various networking products and services for purchase or seat management services. The management services contracts can help you rebuild your networks or systems to ensure your systems are up-to-date and able to function in today's technology environment. Please visit the DIR All Contracts and Services page to identify contracts based on keyword searches.